Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Lectio Divina, Holy Reading


It was an amazing bible study last night. We did Lectio Divina. I was inspired by Postmodern Youth Ministry and I tried to make my youth group kids do this once, but it kinda fell flat with them. I've always wanted to do this myself, but had never taken the time.

Lectio Divina is a way of praying and meditating on a passage of scripture. A way of getting out of your head and listening with your whole body.

We began by being aware of our limbs. Just noticing them and letting them rest. And breathing. Breathing through our feet, breathing into our heart, breathing into our stomach. Aware.

Peter read a few verses from Isaiah. Something about seeing God in all of his glory. He was on a lofty throne and his hem filled the room. He was surrounded by serephs with six wings. Two covering their faces, two covering their feet and two keeping them airborne. Finally, the passage ended with the question "How long, oh Lord?" At that moment my heart burst open and my head was filled with the song that uses that as it's chorus.

It was read again and we moved in to Meditatio/Ruminatio, where we meditate on a word or image that is meaningful to us. All I could think of was that song.

From there we had an active dialog with God during Oratio. And then everything was clear. How long would I have to wait to find someone to love? God was telling me, "No longer. He's here." Thank you God, thank you. I had asked this question of my friend Liana in June. "Where is he?" Liana told me, "In God's time." She was right. Tears.

Then, complete rest and silence. Centering prayer. Just being. Contemplatio.

I wanted to say "Namaste" or the "Light/Divine/Holy in me honors the Light/Divine/Holy in you" like in yoga at the end.

I realized this was my Advent this year. He is the gift that arrived in my life that I needed to be open to receiving. Eyes open, mind open, arms open, heart open.
I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry
He lifted me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay

I will sing, sing a new song
How long to sing this song?

He set my feet upon a rock
And made my footsteps firm
Many will see and fear

I will sing, sing a new song
How long to sing this song?
I had a good run. I had a good cry. It was a good Advent Day.

No comments: